Kinyon Digital Library

Civil War Rosters
County/Local Histories
Census Transcriptions
Local Maps and More

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Tombstones  ||  Poetry

Custom Search

Kinyon Digital Library

Copyright 1999-2013,
 all rights reserved.

History of Adair
County, Iowa, 1915.

Biographical.  Volume 2.

  
 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents  || Next Page


 

 

John R. Sullivan.

John R. Sullivan

John R. Sullivan, of Washington township, is well known as a breeder of registered Poland China hogs and is one of the well-to-do citizens of Adair county, owning four hundred acres of fine land.  He is a native son of this county, his birth having occurred in a log cabin in Washington township, of the 29th of April, 1857, and he is a son of Elijah B. and Sarah B. (Julien) Sullivan, both of whom were born in Indiana.  In 1854 the father came to Iowa with his brother, Titus Sullivan, and they remained for a short time in Clarke county, but in the fall of that year came to Adair county, where each entered a quarter section of land on section 16, Washington township, their farms adjoining.  Each erected a log cabin and in the following spring brought his family to this county.  Elijah B. Sullivan continued to reside upon his farm until his demise, which occurred on the 4th of January, 1907, after a continuous residence upon his farm of fifty-two years.  He was successful financially and from time to time added to his holdings, acquiring in all six hundred and sixty acres of land in Washington township.  He was a democrat and for many years was a factor in local political circles, holding various township offices and working loyally for the advancement of his party.  His wife died on the 16th of March, 1880.

John R. Sullivan was reared at home and has always resided in Washington township.  He received his education in the district schools and by assisting his father with the work of the farm gained valuable training in agricultural pursuits.  In 1880, when a young man of about twenty-three years, he began farming for himself and for eight years he operated rented land.  However, in 1886 he purchased eighty acres five miles north of Fontanelle, in Prussia township, but he never resided upon that place and 1887 traded it for eighty acres of his present home farm, to which he removed in the spring of 1888.  He has gradually increased the extent of his farm, which now comprises four hundred acres of fertile land.  He has made a specialty of breeding thoroughbred Poland China hogs and in that connection he has acquired an enviable reputation.

On the 2d of April, 1882, Mr. Sullivan was united in marriage to Miss Matilda C. Megeath, a daughter of John Megeath, of Washington township, who removed to Iowa from Illinois some years following the arrival of the Sullivan family in this county.  To our subject and his wife have been born five children, of whom four survive, namely:  Ada M., the wife of Guy Moats, of Washington township;  Sarah Grace, who is living at home and is teaching in the district schools;  Bertha M., the wife of Claude Michael, of Washington township; and Lyle R., at home.

Mr. Sullivan is a stanch republican and has held a number of local offices, having served as assessor of his township for fifteen consecutive years and as road overseer for four years, while for ten years he has been identified with the school board, in which he has held the offices of secretary and president.  He has refused other preferment as his private interests require the greater part of his time and attention.  Fraternally he belongs to Bridgewater Lodge, No. 271, I. O. O. F.  He is one of the leading citizens of Washington township and holds a high place in the estimation of all who have been associated with him.

 

 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents || Next Page

  

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Tombstones  ||  Poetry

Site Statistics By

since 17 December 1999.

Copyright 1999-2013
Kinyon Digital Library,
All Rights Reserved.