Kinyon Digital Library

Civil War Rosters
County/Local Histories
Census Transcriptions
Local Maps and More

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Tombstones  ||  Poetry

Custom Search

Kinyon Digital Library

Copyright 1999-2013,
 all rights reserved.

History of Adair
County, Iowa, 1915.

Biographical.  Volume 2.

  
 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents  || Next Page


 

 

John B. Timmons.

John B. Timmons is the owner of two hundred acres of rich and productive land on sections 9 and 10, Eureka township, and in the conduct of his farming interests is meeting with excellent success.  His birth occurred in Linn county, Iowa, on the 10th of August, 1872, his parents being Andrew J. and Annie M. (McCreary) Timmons, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania.  Andrew J. Timmons, and agriculturist by occupation, took up his abode among the early settlers of Linn county, Iowa, and there purchased land which he  cultivated until 1878.  In that year he came to Adair  county, purchasing a farm in Jackson township which he improved and operated continuously and successfully until 1910.  He has since lived retired in the enjoyment of well earned ease and resides with his wife in Bridgewater, having attained the venerable age of eighty-three years, while his wife is sixty-eight years old.  The period of their residence in this county covers thirty-seven years and their circle of friends has steadily grown as the circle of their acquaintance has widened.

John B. Timmons, a lad of six years when brought to Adair county by his parents, was here reared and educated and remained at home until he had attained his majority.  He then purchased and improved a tract of land in Jackson township and cultivated the same for five years, on the expiration of which period he disposed of the property and removed to Cass county, Iowa, where he also operated a farm for five years.  At the end of that time he traded the latter place for a farm in Eureka township, this county, which he afterward sold, returning to Cass county and thence removing to Guthrie county, Iowa.  In the spring of 1915 he again came to Eureka township, Adair county, and purchased two hundred acres of land on sections 9 and 10, which he is now cultivating.

In March, 1898, Mr. Timmons was united in marriage to Miss Lena Ahnen, a daughter of Henry and Dora Ahnen, both of whom were natives of Germany and became pioneer settlers of Adair  county.  The father followed farming in Summerset and Washington townships until he passed away in March, 1912, while the mother died in the year 1908.  To Mr. and Mrs. Timmons have been born five children, namely:  Blanche, Marie, Estella, Leona and Woodrow.

Politically Mr. Timmons is a stanch democrat, while his religious faith is that of the German Lutheran church.  He is also a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the blue lodge at Anita, Iowa.  He enjoys a wide acquaintance in this part of the state and his many good qualities have won him the esteem and high regard of many friends.

 

 

Iowa Index || - || Previous Page || Table of Contents || Next Page

  

Home  ||  What's New?  ||  Notes  ||  Census Data  ||  Data By State  ||  Military Records  ||  Links  ||  Tombstones  ||  Poetry

Site Statistics By

since 17 December 1999.

Copyright 1999-2013
Kinyon Digital Library,
All Rights Reserved.